There will be a brief intro (statistics, short video clip, share-out) and then participants will join in small group discussions about challenging issues related to mental health, including discussions of how schools can support students, families, and colleagues with mental health needs. Here are some of the proposed questions. Keep in mind the conversation will be flexible to take into account participants' needs and expertise.
- Are our learning communities designed to promote mental health for all?
- Do we know how to identify signs of mental illness?
- Do we know where to go to find help for those in need? Do schools have supports in place to help children and adults who are part of our communities?
- Are schools responsible for reaching out to families or helping family members?
- Are we keeping an eye on our colleagues? Is self-help possible?
- What are some next steps for our communities?
Consider attending Educon this year. It's a great opportunity to "recharge" during the winter months. If you are attending, I hope to see you at the Mental Health session.